WELCOME

This blog follows both my personal and professional life, featuring my children, photography jobs, and of course, my love for animals. It's basically my own personal photo album combined with an information source for my clients. This site is very informal and allows me to share a little bit of my personality with you. :)

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Yellowstone National Park - September 2009 - Last Day

Whew! I feel like I finally made it! I am finally posting the last day of our Yellowstone Vacation all the way back in September (You can view all of my other Yellowstone adventures here). CRAZY! This was such an awesome day...we were supposed to be heading home because Matt had to be to work the next day so we got up early in Cody, Wyoming and headed over to the Buffalo Bill museum and took the kids through for what seemed like forever...it was very interesting though and then we headed back through the park. This we saw on the way there...
We kept on driving into the park and saw a bunch of people sitting on the side of the road, so as any curious person does in Yellowstone, we got out and asked what was there...we saw the picture I posted a week ago of a grizzly bear laying down on the trees and waving at us...seriously...he was waving his paw around the tree and I could almost hear him laughing ( I know he was thinking "If you all would just leave me alone so I could enjoy my dinner I would get up, but since you all are watching me like idiots, I'll tease you for a few hours)...we waited for almost two hours for it to get up. Well when it did, I thought I was ready, but I didn't have my tripod and the Tahoe was like twenty cars away from me...so I just started taking pictures. I had my 300mm 2.8 lens on (which is huge...seriously somedays I think that thing is bigger than me) and I could not hold it up for the life of me because I was shaking so bad. I think I was just so EXCITED to be SO close to a grizzly bear IN THE WILD!!! I really thought I was going to pee my pants! So, really - under pressure I melted and these were the not so good shots I got of the bear, but hey, it was an awesome life experience that not everyone can say they've had...
It enjoyed the berries...
I swear it was looking right at me...
Yeah, so now we are talking...the grizzly came up the hill and the only thing separating me from it was a two lane road and my HUGE MONSTROUS lens...I was seriously dying...the ranger kept yelling at me and another guy with an equally huge lens to get back because it is a wild animal ... yadda yadda yadda...but where was I supposed to go...my car was seriously so far down the road and I would have had to get closer to the bear to get to it...IT WAS AWESOME!
So, after the grizzly walked far far away and there were too many cars and people to continue watching, we headed away from the bear...about three hours later...so much for Matt getting to work and Kenyon to school in the morning...so we headed on our merry way out of the park through Teton National Park where we saw more of the buffalo...
this one actually looks cute :)

and again, I had another first...never have I seen two buffalo trying to GET IT ON!!! it was such a CRAZY day!
and we made it to Mormon Row in Tetons as the lighting was just gorgeous. I have always wanted a nice landscape shot of this scene...

And last, I thought this sign was too fun not to share!
I hope you have all enjoyed our journey through Yellowstone National Park, Jackson Hole and Teton National Park with the kiddos...keep watching for our trip that Matt and I took over Valentine's for a winter excursion in Yellowstone...another really AWESOME experience...the only complaint I have is that it was really only a one day trip...never long enough ;)
To view more of my wedding and portrait work, view my Utah Wedding and portrait photography website!

10 comments:

elvira pajarola said...

INCREDIBLE......I would have felt the same way as you did....what emotion....!!!!...to see a wonderful grizzly soooooo close in its free life!!!!!
(I saw a couple bears fishing in Alaska....but a good distance between me and them...but the emotions were incredible!!)
The couple of Buffalos doing their privat business is wooooow!!!!!!
The Picture of Nature and the wooden house are really beautiful!!!!
Thanks for bringin me on your trip; it was gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ciao ciao elvira

David said...

Melissa,
Remind me not to go to Yellowstone with you! If the two of use are out photographing a bear in the woods and he is hungry, I would make a better meal than you. Besides you can run much faster than me even with a big lens. The pictures are great, I now want to go on vacation. Yellowstone, Tetons, and Alaska all sound like fun. Its to bad I'll have to pick just one.

Diandra Ann said...

What a gorgeous house that is! I would LOVE to do a shoot there! That is always the "worst" part of trips for me... seeing places I'd LOVE to shoot a client!

Erin said...

Wow, great shots. I love the one of the barn. My brother-in-law's parents live next door to it in the white farmhouse. It was his grandpa's barn back in the day. They rent out those cabins in the summer. We got to stay there once and it was majic. Lots of cool spots on Mormon row.

Michelle Faith said...

your stuff is amazing...and I'm not saying that to get a "Nice comment" in...it's breath taking.
Happy Sits Tues...I'm a new follower. Can't wait to see more.

LisaDay said...

The bison photo is very powerful. The sign about laughing at natives is ... strange.

Stopping by from SITS.

LisaDay

Jen @ After The Alter said...

I'm so jealous of your wonderful pictures! ( I got an DSLR camera for christmas and I ahve NO idea how to use it!) but I think the funniest is the buffalo trying to get it on! AMAZING!!!

Karen said...

Wow!!!
Those are some truly awesome shots you took.
What an amazing expierence to see nature so up close, I have to tell you that takes courage. I've talked about it in my blog before and there is just no way that this city girl is getting near even a passive white tailed deer =)

Much Luv,
Karen

Jen R said...

Really amazing pictures! What a wonderful trip!

cafegrrl said...

Gorgeous photos, that second-to-last one is amazing!