WELCOME

This blog follows both my personal and professional life, featuring my children, photography jobs, and of course, my love for animals. It's basically my own personal photo album combined with an information source for my clients. This site is very informal and allows me to share a little bit of my personality with you. :)

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Weekend Getaway to Yellowstone National Park - Valentine's 2010

For Valentine's, Matt took me to Yellowstone for a quick weekend away and we had such a nice time. We really didn't see a lot of wildlife and the amount of snow (or lack thereof) was worse this year than it has ever been and it was actually quite warm. The average temperature for the two days we were there was 11 degrees farenheit - and usually it is about -11 degrees, so I was pleasantly surprised by how warm it was there, but a little dissapointed there wasn't more snow. We were only in the park for one day so these are pretty much all taken on the same day. ENJOY!
.
We stayed at Three Bear Lodge in West Yellowstone and loved pretty much every minute of it...I especially loved their branding - which they had burned into all of their furniture :)
These were the elk along the Madison River which are the only elk that do not migrate out of the park for the winter. They drink from the Madison which doesn't freeze but is also full of highly saturated minerals such as sulfur. The minerals cause early tooth decay in these elk so their life expectancy is much shorter because their teeth rot and wear down to where they can't eat their food and they eventually starve to death. SAD :(
A pretty landscape of some falls through the Madison pass...
Some trumpeter swans...
On our way up to Artist's Point we were able to see a little bit of sun...
My sweetheart and me
Another little bit of sun (the majority of the day it snowed like CRAZY!)
When I took this shot it was snowing big time and I was on a windy cliff. Do you remember my post from our September Yellowstone Trip of Artist's Point? Well, here is Artist's Point all frozen over. I don't think it is nearly as impressive.
I thought this might make a cool Christmas Card...What do you think?
Hot Springs in the snow...
Okay, so I know, I got a little crazy with the coyote, but he was absolutely gorgeous and I could definitely tell he had never been shot at because toward the end, he started getting very close to me- walking straight at me...AWESOME!



I liked this one where he was playing in the snow :)




This was taken the next morning on our drive home as the morning fog was just starting to burn off...

To view Utah wedding photography or portraits view Melissa Papaj Photography's website or click here for wedding blog entries.

14 comments:

GlowinGirl said...

Beautiful! I want to be there!
(Stopped over from SITS)

Mama Llama said...

What stunning pictures! Thanks for joining in on the conversation at SITS! I love your work! Wish I was closer.

bluecottonmemory said...

What amazing photos! Just breath-taking!

Priscilla said...

I've never been to yellowstone and omg is it beautiful! :) Great photos of the animals too.

Brandi said...

How beautiful, sometimes I am just amazed that there are places that look like this, great job. I definitely will stop by often to see what you've been up to.

Carter Clan said...

Amazing pictures as usual Melissa. Love the Coyote pics!

Supermanslady said...

Oh you make me homesick!!!! I'm stopping over from SITS and saw the word Yellowstone and HAD to come take a look! I was pretty much born and raised in Arkansas but when I was a toddler, my parents were church starters in Riverton Wyoming. For years after our summer family trips were to Wyoming. Tons of fond memories, and yes, your pictures make me long to go back again.
LOVE IT!

Adriana said...

Wow these are amazing!!!
(stopping by from SITS)

Hannah Leigh said...

Melissa, my older sister worked in Yellowstone as a snowmobile guide two years ago. It is so awesome to see some good-quality pictures of the places she went and the animals she saw! Thanks!

Sarah @ OneStarryNight said...

GORGEOUS photos and I have to say, I am jealous you were able to shoot in such a great location!

That is so desperately sad about the elk.

Sarah said...

That's great. Thanks for sharing!
I recently posted about a free report I wrote with ways to help others grow their blogs if your interested. You can find it at http://bloggerchixdesigns.blogspot.com/p/grow-your-blog-free-report.html
Blogger Chix Designs

~ M ~ said...

WOW what a bunch of breathtakingly beautiful and excellent shots! Love it.

Stopping by from SITS :)

Erika said...

The Three Bear Lodge sounds absolutely magical; I would love to stay there someday myself.

I just have to say that your photography is amazing. You are incredibly talented!

By the way...I think I joined SITS a few months back, but I've never really been an active member. I may need to take another look at the site. :)

Melissa Papaj Photography said...

Thanks all of you awesome girls! And Three Bear Lodge was awesome! I hope you can all make it Yellowstone for a vacation someday :)