WELCOME

This blog follows both my personal and professional life, featuring my children, photography jobs, and of course, my love for animals. It's basically my own personal photo album combined with an information source for my clients. This site is very informal and allows me to share a little bit of my personality with you. :)

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Heart Surgery

I know - it has been forever since I last posted on my blog :) As most of you know, I had heart surgery - A Robotic ASD Repair to be exact. It really kicked my butt :) I am feeling better and better each day and somewhat missing my job (I never thought I would say that but my job is fun and VERY addiciting). I have had a lot of people ask exactly what they did, so I will go into a little bit of detail.
.
I feel very, very blessed because even just two years ago, I would have had to have open heart surgery - which would mean a very ugly scar all the way down the front of my chest, but, because of an amazing surgeon named Dr. Joseph E.Graham at Ogden Regional Medical Center, I did not have to have open heart surgery. Dr. Graham was able to go in through my right side with a DaVinci robot through four different insicions between my ribs.
.
That's right - through my side :) They collapsed my right lung and crossed over with the robot and sewed up a hole the size of a dime in my heart. Of course they did everything else they do with open heart surgery like bypass and stop my heart for five hours along with a little extra because my chest was not open. Things such as inflate balloons in each arm and cameras up each side of my groin, down my neck and up each arm also.
.
So considering I had heart surgery seven weeks ago, I am feeling quite well. I have since had pleurisy twice (which they tell me is quite common after heart surgery) along with some wierd thing called subcutaneous emphysema which i got through my main arterial line in my neck and nerve damage in both of my arms - which will get better with time.
.
My main goal was to be back to work by Christmas which didn't quite go as planned because every time I look at my computer I get dizzy and nauseous - no idea why :(
.
So the good news is - I had headaches my entire life, some just headaches but mostly migraines and since my surgery, I have not had ONE SINGLE HEADACHE - WONDERFUL! Not only that, but the shooting pain and numbness in my legs is gone. I am looking forward to starting the new year with a new heart and new health.
.
Thank you every one for all of the love, support, well wishes and many visits that you gave me both in the hospital and home.
.
Also, along with this post I want to give a shout out for my Aunt Debbie who just released her book "Eight Finger and Eight Toes: Accepting Life's Challenges". She has been nominated for Wasatch Women's Woman of the Year Award please go VOTE FOR DEBBIE JORDE :) She is such an amazing inspiration to me and many other people.
.
I hope this post finds all of you well and hope you all have a wonderful new year filled with happiness and good health :)

1 comment:

Maria said...

Melissa, I'm glad to hear that things are getting better each day. We are still battling colds over here, but for that small window when Audrey wasn't coughing up a lung, it was fun to have your two little munchkins over to play! We need to get together soon...

Happy New Years!!!